Beef and Cheese Borek/Egg rolls
Beef and Cheese Egg Rolls
- 1 pound ground beef 85/15 or 90/10
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- 2 small roma tomatoes diced
- 1 to 2 cups crumbled ackawi cheese more or less to taste
- 1 to 2 cups shredded mozzarella more or less to taste
- 40 to 50 egg roll wrappers
- vegetable oil for frying
- optional: avocado oil spray for air frying
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add olive oil and garlic. Sauce for a minute.
- Add ground beef along with paprika, allspice, coriander, salt, cumin, black pepper, and turmeric.
- Start to break up the ground beef with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Once the meat is browned and minced finely, turn off the heat and add parsley, cilantro, and chopped tomatoes. Mix and transfer to a bowl to cool to room temperature.
- When the ground beef is at room temperature, add the ackawi cheese and mozzarella. Mix.
- Grab an egg roll wrapper. Add about 2 tablespoons of filling along one edge.
- Fold the left and right side in toward the center first and then roll until you get almost to the end. Brush the end with water and finish the last roll to seal tightly.
- TO PAN FRY: Heat oil for frying in a pan. Drop the egg rolls in and don't overcrowd. Once golden brown on one side, about 2 to 3 minutes, flip over and allow the other side to get golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- TO AIR FRY: Set the air fryer to 375°F. Spray the basket and egg rolls with avocado oil or vegetable oil spray. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, then flip over and cook another 5 to 6 minutes or until golden and crispy all around.
- Enjoy warm with your favorite dipping sauce!
Tips & Notes
- If you cannot find Ackawi cheese (found in Arab/Middle Eastern grocery stores), you can swap it for more mozzarella or cheese of your choice.
- To store, place them in a ziploc bag and freeze until ready to fry!