Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
The perfect super bowl snack did not exist until this recipe for Buffalo Chicken Wontons Cups! Basically picture your favorite buffalo chicken dip but baked into a crispy wonton cups. It’s cheesy, tangy, and a lot less messy than the dip! Everyone will go absolutely crazy for them.
I thought of making these because I saw everyone making Crab Rangoons as a trend on TikTok. Since the Super Bowl was coming up, I wanted to do something different and make a buffalo chicken rangoon but then I ended up turning it into wonton cups instead and this recipe was born. So much easier than shaping and sealing up every single one! And the best part is no frying involved, just baking in the oven and they still turn out sooo crispy.
The Easiest Way to Shred Chicken
The first step to making this recipe is the chicken! Shredded chicken is commonly used in buffalo dip and there are two methods you can follow.
The first method is boiling chicken breast yourself at home. Just add it to a pot of boiling water with salt and black pepper until cooked through. The secret to shredding it really fast is throwing it into your KitchenAid with the paddle attachment and it does all the shredding for you. Alternatively, you can use a fork or your hands to shred it.
The second method is to just buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it apart so you save some time by skipping boiling the chicken!
How to Make the Filling
Now the flavor is all in the filling and it takes less than five minutes to get it all ready!
Here are all the ingredients you will need:
- buffalo sauce (my personal favorite to use is the Frank’s Red Hot Brand)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- cream cheese
- minced garlic
- chopped cilantro
- chopped green bell pepper
- optional: sliced green onions or diced red onion
Just combine all these ingredients with the shredded chicken and that’s it. So simple.
Shaping the Wontons into Cups and Baking
For equipment, you will need a cupcake tin. First spray the tin with some oil and push a wonton wrapper down into each tin to form a “cup” shape. Pop in the oven to bake at 350°F for 5 to 6 minutes or until golden on the edges.
Then take it out of the oven and add about 2 tablespoons of filling. Add more cheddar and mozzarella cheese on top and pop back in the oven to bake for another 13 to 15 minutes until golden brown and super crispy!
Other Finger Foods to Cook Up
- Pizza Hawaiian Rolls
- Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Crab Rangoons
- Avocado Egg Rolls
- Bang Bang Cauliflower
If you tried this recipe and loved it, drop by down below and let me know how you liked it with a rating and comment! Feel free to also leave a question there about this recipe and I’ll get right back to it.
Buffalo Chicken Dip Wonton Cups
The perfect super bowl snack did not exist until this recipe for Buffalo Chicken Wontons Cups! Basically picture your favorite buffalo chicken dip but baked into a crispy wonton cups. It's cheesy, tangy, and a lot less messy than the dip! Everyone will go absolutely crazy for them.
- 2 large chicken breasts (about 1.5 pounds) boiled and shredded
- 3/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/4 cup ranch
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
- 1 whole green bell pepper diced
- sliced green onions or diced red onions optional
- more cheddar and mozzarella to add on top
- wonton wrappers
- oil spray
- cupcake tin
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add salt and black pepper. Add two chicken breasts and boil until cooked through. Take out of the pot and shred it.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To a large bowl, add the shredded chicken along with buffalo sauce, ranch, cream cheese, cheddar, mozzarella, garlic, cilantro, and green bell pepper. Feel free to also add green onion or red onion. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- Spray a muffin tin with oil and add 1 wonton wrapper into each cupcake and press down to form a cup. Spray the top as well and pop in the oven to bake for about 5 to 6 minutes, just until a bit golden.
- Take out of the oven and add the filling in the cup, about two tablespoons or so. Cover with shredded cheese and pop back in the oven for about 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish with green onions or cilantro and enjoy!