The best treat to have as a kid and yes, adults too! This is the gourmet homemade version of Little Debbie's Cosmic Brownies. They taste just like them if not better.
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips milk or semi-sweet
- 1/4 cup rainbow chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8 inch x 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, and salt.
- Then, add the melted butter, white sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Combine together with a rubber spatula but do not over mix.
- Transfer into baking pan and pop in the oven to bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Do not overcook.
- While it bakes, make your frosting. Add the melted unsalted butter, sugar, heavy cream, and chocolate chips/chunks to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 15 second intervals, mixing in between until the chocolate is melted (only took 30 seconds for me).
- Take the brownies out of the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add the frosting on top and chill for a few minutes in the fridge until the frosting is firm and not runny.
- Sprinkle on the rainbow chips and cut into rectangles!
Tips & Notes
- Here are the rainbow chips I purchased off Amazon. I just removed the black colored ones to make it look just like the original.
- For the frosting, you can make it with milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips/chunks. If you don't mind a stronger chocolate taste, use semi-sweet like me. If you like it less strong, use milk.