Grinder Salad Sandwich
The Italian Grinder Sandwich is truly the sandwich of everyone’s dreams and it is no ordinary deli one that you might be used to! The sandwich is packed with an assortment of the best deli meats, a tangy and saucy slaw made with iceberg lettuce and pepperoncinis, and the softest bread baked in a garlic and herb butter. It has recently taken TikTok by a storm so now we are going to make it even better!
The Grinder Salad
This is probably the star of the sandwich and where it gets its name from! The recipe is all over TikTok but most say to measure with your heart so of course I did as always. Think of it as coleslaw but a million times better! Maybe even a billion times better.
Here are all the ingredients you need for the veggies:
- iceberg lettuce, shredded
- red onions
- chopped pepperoncinis
Here are all the ingredients you need for the marinade:
- red pepper flakes
- fresh parsley
- minced garlic
- yellow mustard
- Italian seasoning
- black pepper
To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Feel free to tweak anything to your taste. After tossing it in the veggies, you can taste and adjust anything then as well.
Note: For the vinegar, typically red wine vinegar is used but you can swap it out for distilled vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or even the juice from the jar of pepperoncinis.
Now there is a little secret in the preparation of the red onions. To get rid of the spicy bitterness, throw the sliced red onions in an ice water bath and shake them around. Then let them sit for about 20 minutes and this will make them more sweet and enjoyable!
After that, toss the onions with the shredded iceberg lettuce and diced pepperonicnis. You can add more or less of the peppers depending on if you want it spicy. The amount in this recipe doesn’t make it hot. Feel free to taste it here and adjust anything you’d like.
The Deli Meats
Traditionally, a grinder sandwich is packed with tons of deli meat. You have complete freedom to use whichever ones you already prefer.
I like to get a bunch and have everyone pick their favorites so each sandwich is different and customized to each person! But this is completely not necessary.
Here are the deli meats I use:
- beef salami
- beef prosciutto (bresaola)
- pastrami or roast beef
You can add as much or as little as you’d like!
On to the last part, we have the bread and also going to slide the cheese in there along with it.
Typically a hoagie roll is used for this sandwich but my favorite go to is dutch crunch! It’s super soft on the inside and it has that nice crispy texture on the exterior. You can use any kind of bread you like best.
Now the secret is all in how the bread is prepared so we’ll be taking it to the next level and making a garlic butter to brush and bake it in.
To make the garlic spread, here’s what you will need:
- unsalted butter, melted
- minced garlic
- chopped parsley
- black pepper
Just mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl for the garlic and herb butter. Brush some evenly on top of the bread. On the inside of one half, add cheese of choice. I like to use provolone! Then toast the bread in the oven at 350°F for a few minutes just until the bread is golden and crispy and the cheese is melted.
Once out of the oven, assemble with the deli meats, tomatoes, avocado, and pile high the grinder salad. Press down, slice in half, and enjoy! I love to add avocado but it’s completely optional.
TIP: Sprinkle the tomatoes with a little salt and black pepper to make them even more juicy.
Other Sandwich Recipes to Try
If you tried this recipe and loved it, drop by down below and let me know how you liked it with a rating and comment! Feel free to also leave a question there about this recipe and I’ll get right back to it.
Grinder Salad Sandwich
The Italian Grinder Sandwich is truly the sandwich of everyone's dreams and it is no ordinary deli one that you might be used to! The sandwich is packed with an assortment of the best deli meats, a tangy and saucy slaw made with iceberg lettuce and pepperoncinis, and the softest bread baked in a garlic and herb butter. It has recently taken TikTok by a storm so now we are going to make it even better!
GARLIC & HERB BUTTER
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon parmesan grated
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small head of iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped pepperoncinis
- 1/2 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (red, distilled, or apple cider)
- 3 tablespoons parmesan grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 to 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt more to taste
- bread of choice dutch crunch, hoagie roll
- deli meats of choice turkey, pastrami, salami, etc
- sliced tomatoes
- cheese of choice
MAKE THE GARLIC AND HERB BUTTER
- To a small bowl, add the melted butter, parsley, garlic, parmesan, black pepper, and oregano. Mix together and set aside.
PREPARE THE GRINDER SALAD
- To a bowl, add water, ice, and the sliced red onion. Let it soak for at least 20 minutes to make it less bitter and more sweet. Drain.
- Make the dressing in a small bowl by combining mayo, vinegar, garlic, parsley, mustard, parmesan, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning until smooth.
- Add the lettuce, red onion, pepperoncinis, and the dressing to a large bowl and toss together. Taste and adjust anything to your liking.
PREPARE THE SANDWICH
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush the top of the bread with the garlic butter. Place cheese on the bottom of the bread and place it all on a baking tray and pop in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes just until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Once out of the oven, assemble with the deli meats on top of the cheese, then tomatoes, avocado if using, and lots of grinder salad. Add the bread on top, press down, and cut in half to enjoy!