Peri Peri Style Chicken and Rice
Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken and Rice at home and even better! It’s the most delicious one pan dinner that takes less than an hour to make and everyone will love. The dish is packed with flavor, spice, and color so what’s not to love!
For the sauces, I purchased these off Amazon from Nando’s. They also sell them at my local grocery store so you can check there as well. You can use any flavor or spice level you like in this recipe. I like using medium – it’s not too spicy but has a small kick!
If you tried this recipe and loved it, drop by down below and let me know how you liked it with a rating and comment! Feel free to also leave a question there about this recipe and I’ll get right back to it.
Peri Peri Chicken & Rice
Nando's Peri Peri Chicken and Rice at home and even better! It's the most delicious one pan dinner that takes less than an hour to make and everyone will love. The dish is packed with flavor, spice, and color so what's not to love!
PERI PERI CHICKEN
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- medium peri peri sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 whole red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes optional
- 1 cup peas cooked
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
MARINADE THE CHICKEN
- Add the olive oil, chili powder, garlic, black pepper, paprika, cumin, and salt to the chicken. Mix to evenly coat the chicken thighs.
COOK THE CHICKEN
- Add a drizzle of vegetable or olive oil to a pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs and spread evenly apart. Once it's hot, add a drizzle of oil to the pan. Add the chicken in, making sure not to crowd them. Cook in two batches if needed. Once golden brown on one side, about 5 to 6 minutes, flip over. Brush the chicken thighs with peri peri sauce. Allow the other side to get golden brown, about 6 minutes. Then drop the heat to low and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through to the center. Take off the heat and you can brush again with more peri peri sauce.
COOK THE RICE
- Wash your rice really well until the water runs clear. In a large pan, add the olive oil and butter over medium high heat.
- Add the red bell pepper, onion, minced garlic, and tomato paste. Saute for 3-4 minutes and then add the rice and toast it for about 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock, chili powder, paprika, turmeric, salt, oregano, and chili flakes. Mix together and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat to simmer, cover, and cook for about 11-12 minutes. Turn off the heat but leave covered for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take off the lid and fluff with a fork. Add the peas and chopped cilantro. Mix again. Top with the cooked chicken and enjoy!