It’s strawberry season so let’s learn how to make sweet and tangy strawberry lemonade at home and even better! Ditch those cartons.
How to Make Strawberry Lemonade
There are basically 3 parts to making this delicious drink and they are all really simple!
- Squeeze your lemons! It’s a very tedious process but the reward is worth it. We will need about 1 cup of fresh lemon juice which requires about 8 large lemons.
- Make the strawberry juice! All you need is strawberries and water. To pick ripe strawberries, look for those that are a deep red with no white spots. They will be plump and shouldn’t be too firm or too soft. If you want lemonade on the sweeter side, you can add a little sugar to the strawberry juice as well. Add the strawberries and water to a food processor until there are no more chunks and it resembles juice. Then strain out all the seeds with a fine sieve and it is good to go.
- Sweeten it up with a simple syrup. This part is super easy because instead of making it on the stove, we can make it in the microwave in 2 minutes. Just add the sugar to some hot water and microwave in 30 second intervals until the syrup is clear and all the sugar is dissolved. Mix after each interval with a spoon. If you don’t have a microwave, you can still do this over the stove. Just allow the syrup to chill after either way to room temperature.
Once all three parts above are done, you just mix it all together with more water and that’s it! Super refreshing with some ice on a hot summer day.
Tips to Making the Perfect Pitcher of Lemonade
- Every lemon is different! Some are more sour and some are more sweet. Meyer lemons are sweeter than regular lemons.
- Make it to your taste. If you don’t like it as strong, you can add more water. If you like it strong, add less water. If you like it more sweet, add more sugar and vice versa. If you want a more fruity taste, add more strawberry juice.
- For a stronger lemon taste, you can add lemon zest in the simple syrup but just be careful to not get any of the white rind or else it will be bitter.
- Refrigerate to chill before serving. You can also choose to dilute it with ice if you’d like.
- Feel free to make it more fancy by adding some lemon slices and chopped strawberries into the pitcher. You can even add some mint for a cooling effect.
You can even swap the strawberries for raspberries to make raspberry lemonade or swap some of the lemon juice for lime juice to make a limeade. The possibilities are truly endless!
You may also like:
If you have any questions about this recipe, let me know in the comments! If you make this recipe, let me know on Instagram! I love seeing your remakes SO much.
- 1 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 1/4 cup hot water
- 10 ounces strawberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lemon juice about 8 large lemons
- 4 cups water
TO MAKE THE SIMPLE SYRUP
- To a microwave-safe bowl, add hot water along with the sugar.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Take it out and mix. Microwave for another 30 seconds. Take it out and mix again. If it is clear and all the sugar is dissolved, it's done. If you still see sugar, microwave for another 30 seconds. Once clear, pop in the fridge to cool down to room temperature.
TO MAKE THE STRAWBERRY JUICE
- To a food processor, add the strawberries and water. Blend until there is no more chunks and completely smooth like a juice.
- Place a fine sieve over a bowl and strain the juice to remove the seeds. If it is pouring very slowly, just swirl it around with a spoon and press gently against the sieve and it will filter out a lot faster.
TO MAKE THE LEMONADE
- To a very large pitcher, add the lemon juice and water along with all the strawberry juice and 1 cup of the simple syrup. Taste it. If you want it more sweet, add the rest of the simple syrup. If you want a less strong taste, dilute it with a little bit of water. I did not add any extra water and used all the syrup and the taste was perfect for me.
- Place in the fridge to chill or serve in a glass with ice immediately and enjoy!