The BEST 5 Minute Pesto!
Let’s learn how to make a fresh and vibrant pesto completely from scratch in just five minutes! Making it at home tastes so much better than the store bought versions and is just as easy. Use it to make some pasta, throw on some toast or bruschetta, or even make a salad dressing with it. The possibilities are truly endless and delicious!
The best part about making pesto is you can just throw everything in a food processor and that’s it! You have a whole jar of pesto ready to enjoy in just five minutes.
Traditional pesto is very simple and just has less than one handful of ingredients so this is my own take.
Here is everything you will need:
- garlic cloves
- pine nuts
- grated parmesan
- salt and black pepper
- olive oil
- lemon zest and lemon juice
Just add it all into a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
NOTE: For the olive oil, you want to make sure to use the highest quality extra-virgin olive oil that you can find. The deeper the color the better! That’s where a lot of the flavor will come from. You don’t want to use a neutral tasting oil which a lot of store bought pestos will do to cheap out. My favorite brand to use is Filippo Berio.
The same goes for parmesan! The higher the quality of parmesan, the more rich the pesto will taste.
How To Store It
If you’d like to store it in the refrigerator to use throughout the week, transfer it to an air-tight container and it’ll stay good in there for at least a week.
Now if you have plans to keep it longer than a week, keep the jar in the freezer. You can also transfer the pesto to an ice cube tray, that way you only use the amount you need every time.
Variations to Try
The best part about pesto is you can always customize it to your taste and dietary preferences! Of course, the basil always has to be the star of the dish and that’s the flavor you really want to stand out the most. But everything else can kind of be tweaked so let’s get into it.
- Now the spinach and parsley are completely optional. I like to add spinach because I always have a bag sitting around in my fridge that I have to get creative with before it goes bad so sneaking in some more veggies is perfect. A little trick if you have little ones who don’t like spinach – disguise it as pesto pasta. For the parsley, you can completely omit it and just add more basil in its place.
- If you are allergic to pine nuts, just leave them out. If you don’t like pine nuts, you can just swap them for walnuts or pistachios.
- To have a more strong basil taste, leave out a few garlic cloves and only add 3 or 4 cloves but I just love garlic so I add more!
Other Recipes to Try
If you tried this recipe and loved it, drop by down below and let me know how you liked it with a rating and comment! Feel free to also leave a question there about this recipe and I’ll get right back to it.
The BEST 5 Minute Pesto!
Let's learn how to make a fresh and vibrant pesto completely from scratch in just five minutes! Making it at home tastes so much better than the store bought versions and is just as easy. Use it to make some pasta, throw on some toast or bruschetta, or even make a salad dressing with it. The possibilities are truly endless and delicious!
- 4 cups basil
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra virign olive oil
- zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- To make the pesto, just add all the ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until completely smooth.
- Use to make pasta or store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge!